Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Notorious B.I.G. Drops Game on How to Succeed In Politics

The Notorious B.I.G. was a genius. Forget everything you know about his life or tragic death. Based solely on the strength of his lyrics to the song 10 Crack Commandments, he cleverly asserted his prophetic insight into human behavior in a capitalist society. A modern day Machiavelli (sorry Tupac), Biggie provided memorable maxims for life in the big city, an annotated Poor Richard’s Almanac, if you will, for the modern citizen. But more importantly for me, it spelled out how to become successful in a high-stakes, big money conspiracy. He played in the crack game; my game is politics.

I been in this game for years, it made me an animal
Its rules to this shit, I wrote me a manual
A step by step booklet for you to get
Your game on track, not your wig pushed back

There was no manual for what I am involved with. But there definitely are rules. And these rules are sacred and immutable. Passed from one generation to the next, laws inspire the same reverence and sanctity as the Constitution the Members of the Legislature are sworn to protect and uphold.

Rule nombre uno: never let no one know
How much, dough you hold, cause you know
The cheddar breed jealousy

A former State Treasurer once said “Money is the mother’s milk of politics.” And just like a titty, I learned to hold information about money close to the chest and hidden away.

Number two: never let ‘em know your next move
Don’t you know bad boys move in silence

Number three: never trust no-bo-dy

It is rule number three that makes my heart race every time I play that it in the morning in the car on the way to work. Because I know what I am doing, how I do it, and the reasons why I do it might change my life forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least now I know what you have been up too.