An article in the New York Times several years ago confirmed what I have known as a fact for years: 51% of American women, and 70% of black women, live without a spouse. Seeing a statistic like that in the past would have sent me into a minor depressive cycle. Now, I can honestly say that I value my singlesness.
Being single is the ultimate feminist act. Women can choose where and when to work, have relationships with a diverse set of people (both romantic and platonic), and enjoy quality free time...alone. Well, in theory at least. I suspect a greater influence on the freedom inherent in singleness is socio-economic rather than political.
In fact recent statistics highlight an interesting twist. Researchers found that well-educated women are more likely than less-educated women to get married, although they marry on average 2 years later. And they, more likely than not, marry someone with about the same amount of education. Of course, the BWC (black women caveat) applies: black women on average are less likely to marry than white women, but, on the positive side, among blacks, black women with a college degree are more likely to marry.
The interpretation of the data may bring to remind romantic notions of single women as powerful ball busters, so absorbed with their career and success in a man's world that they neglect the call of their ovaries and don their St. John power suits like flak jackets every day to enter the work world battle field. Those women still exist. But the new picture that is unfolding is that once these women do decide to settle down, they are more likely to marry someone with a similar educational background and they are more likely to remain married.
This is hopeful news. Like Jay-Z says: 30 is the new 20. I still have plenty of time.


1 comment:
Speaking as a single white man, I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I apologize for (and perhaps that's why I am) seeing it less as a feminist/racial issue than an intellectual issue.
I think the issue is indeed tied directly to socio-economic status, but more as a reflection of accompanying educational levels.
My feeling is that, as people become more educated, they become more independent and less susceptible to the belief that their lives must be structured on being married and/or relying on someone else for their happiness (which, of course, is complete bullshit).
But hell, what do I know, I'm a guy.
Post a Comment