Thursday, August 06, 2009

Pawpaw Ed, Auntie Farrah and Uncle Johnny

What? John Hughes is dead? First Ed McMahon, then Farrah Fawcet and now this. I can’t. The Grim Reaper is busy taking folks of the 80s television and movies of my childhood but ain’t turned nann eye at the makers of Dharma and Greg or Doogie Howser, M.D.(I keed I keed, I don’t wish death on anyone)

I read on Twitter that film director/producer John Hughes died. As I think about his films, I remember what I now realize was an awkward stage in my life: bangs that stood up on my head, teeth badly in need of braces, and a crush on the boy that put away the tether balls in the afternoon.

During that time The Breakfast Club was my favorite Hughes film, in no small part because of Molly Ringwald. In The Breakfast Club, Molly’s character Claire has a sophisticated palette, preferring to eat sushi for lunch rather than PB&J and wears expensive diamond earrings to school. Claire was to me the epitome of a sophisticated high school girl

So in honor of John Hughes and the impact his movies have made in my childhood I present the trailer for The Breakfast Club.

 

2 comments:

mr. nichols said...

Yes it is a tragedy. My favorite JH film was "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

RIP John Hughes

Unknown said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
UK writing